Tales from the Vineyard

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Tractor and the Dance of Successful Repair.

This week, my husband Matthew, started mowing in the vineyard. Some of the grass had grown past knee-high.
Well, Matthew was nearly finished for the day when he decided to swing the tractor past our tasting patio. He stopped to chat with me for a minute. "How's your day-What's for supper?" that sort of thing. When he turned the key to restart the tractor, smoke started puffing out from under the dash. That is not a good sign. The tractor wouldn't start, so Matthew left it sitting right in front of the tasting patio. Not exactly the most convenient place for it to die, but what are you going do?
The next day, Matthew and I towed the tractor back down to the barn so I could look at it. Matthew worked the tasting patio while I stared at the melted wires that snaked under and through the tractor body. I figured something has shorted and burned up the wire. My powers of observation amaze even me.
I checked the battery, still good and holding a charge. I checked the solenoid/starter. They turned over when jumper-ed from the battery. I checked the safety switches, all good. I even checked the ignition switch, it too was good. So I ended up removing the burnt up main wiring harness and replacing the melted bits. I reinstalled the wiring harness and with a short prayer, I turned the ignition key.
The tractor fired right up. I thanked God. Matthew and the dogs joined me in a rousing "Dance of Successful Repair".

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home